Apr 5, 2009

Palm Sunday in Ocean City, Part 2: A Tree Blooms at City Hall



All manner of trees and wildflowers are blooming in Ocean City and West Ocean City. I snapped a photo of this beautiful tree outside City Hall about noon today, Palm Sunday.

Could someone please identify the tree? It's not a dogwood tree, is it? I can tell the difference between a bird and a tree, or between a bumblebee and a flower, but I'm usually stumped when it comes to an actual name.

I understand we have some attractive cherry blossom trees at the Northside Park, but I haven't had a chance to see them for myself. I can remember when there was hardly a tree, or even a blade of green grass, in Ocean City, except for lots of wild grass and other plants on the dunes north of the developed part of town. Then most of the dunes were obliterated during the building booms of the 1970s.

But Ocean City has done a lot of planting in the past 30 years. Engineers decided that the best way to protect the town from storms was a healthy system of dunes. So the dunes were reestablished and grasses planted, and now we have a nice dune line starting at 27th Street and going north. And we have trees and other plantings lining the highways in many places, and sometimes in the new, improved, median strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment